Any baby girl’s christening, baptism, or baby dedication is a special time in life, not just hers but more importantly for you. After all, it signifies the day when she is symbolically declared to be given over to the Lord’s work and to be in His good hands. It is therefore understandable that you want everything about the big day to be extra special: you may spend countless hours following up on the guest list, checking the decorations at the ceremony venue, and of course, making sure that your little one is dressed in the best possible outfit. Christening dresses have fast become special family heirlooms that are only worn by the baby once on this special day, and then possibly gets passed on to the next sister.
In looking for christening dresses for girls, you can actually use the usual flower girl dresses, but most people would buy one dedicated to the event. There are many things that you need to consider. The following should serve as a helpful guide for you so that you do not wind up buying a dress that you would later regret:
- Comfort – Comfort is the most important thing to remember when shopping for any outfit for babies. It is even more important when it comes to boutique baby clothes like christening dresses. Remember, a christening ceremony and party takes place over several hours, so if you wind up buying a dress that simply looks fantastic on your baby but is actually uncomfortable, you will likely wind up with a very unhappy, fussy, and whining baby in your hands. You would not want a bawling baby, who is supposedly the star of the day, putting a strain on the festivities.
- Season or venue temperature – Another consideration when choosing a christening dress is whether the venue will be warm or cool. The season has a lot to dictate into this consideration: obviously, if the christening happens in winter, you will want your girl to be dressed warmly, and if it’s in the summer, you will opt for dresses in light, cooler fabrics. The weather also plays a part: while it is quite impossible to predict how the weather would be like, still, as much as possible, knowing weather forecasts can give you a clue. Also, consider where the ceremony and reception will be held: if it is in an outdoor garden, you will be more at the mercy of the elements, but if it happens to be in a hotel function room, you can at least be confident that the overall temperature of the venue will be relatively regulated.
- Fabric – The fabric is an important consideration, firstly in light of comfort issues, and secondly simply because christening dresses tend to be stored away for future use. As such, if you are buying a christening dress in white, which is the traditional color, you need to pick a fabric that would not turn yellow! Experts recommend cotton, as it is highly comfortable and does not yellow over the years. If you choose other colors, the fabric will also determine whether the dress would discolor or not, so it is still an important thing to think about.
- Accessories – As you pick the christening dress for your little one, you also need to start thinking about the accessories that would go with it. Typically, for little girls, you will need frilly socks and perhaps a bonnet. Special-occasion dress shoes will also go well. Again, make sure you choose accessories that are comfortable for your baby to wear over an extended period of time.
- Looks and fit – Certainly, these considerations do not mean that you do not factor in how the dress looks. If possible, though, try the dress on your baby. Some dresses look nice on the hanger but are not designed well enough to fit your baby’s particular physique. Of course, all baby girls look pretty even if they are wearing a dress that does not fit properly, but imagine how much prettier they will look when they have a dress that fits just right! If you are buying a dress online, be sure you give enough time allowance for possible returns. A good choice would be dresses with adjustment capability, such as the Angelic New Flower Princess Dress with Headband, which features a tie sash.
With these in mind, you are well on your way to buying the best among the christening dresses you see for your baby girl!